Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hill 16-Diary of a Dub.


Starting this Sunday I am going to use my Blog to chart my experiences following the Dublin football team on its quest for Sam Maguire. The summer odyssey for a Dublin fan is full of highs and lows. We come to the first championship game full of expectation. After the first win the hype builds. Talk begins in the pubs and the workplaces. As the Dublin hype machine slips into fifth gear we cancel all weddings, parties, holidays and life saving operations in the month of September. We need to keep All Ireland weekend free for our glorious return to the pinnacle of inter county football. Then it happens, our spirits plummet faster then an Irish bank's share price in a recession. We lose to Kerry in the semi final. For Kerry you can substitute Tyrone or Mayo or any decent team and for semi final you can substitute quarter final. You know the script we lose and the other 31 counties in Ireland laugh.

It's a long time since 1995 and the pain gets harder to take every year. So this summer I want to capture what it's like following the Dubs on an All Ireland run. The craic of matchday, the atmosphere of the hill and the passion of the fans. I want to reach out to my country cousins and ask why cant we all get along? What would you all do if you didn't have the Dubs to hate? So as Meath come to Croker on Sunday I welcome the Meath fans to our home ground (only joking I know it belongs to us all)and hopefully we get the right result and the Dub rollercoaster can start again. I think this is the year I can feel it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home